Branches are asked to nominate members who may be interested in putting themselves forward for assessment and possible selection to an Irish Squad. Nominees must display the qualities necessary to be an Irish Pony Club Ambassador.
The format for the 2020 Tetrathlon Squads has slightly changed. There will be no specific trials or training days for nominees. Assessment of nominees will be based on any one of the following three criteria.
- Nominees will be assessed at the warm up triathlons which will take place during February and March. These will include the following dates (More dates may be added. The calendar is being updated regularly at the moment.):
- Co. Clare Winter Triathlon on Sunday 23rd February
- North Kilkenny Winter Triathlon and Biathlon on Sunday 8th March
- Irish Pony Club National Triathlon Final on Sunday 15th March
- Assessment based on performance at events and competitions in 2019.
- The Tetrathlon committee reserves the right to offer a wild card invitation onto the squad to members from a Branch which is trying to develop Tetrathlon within the area.
The Irish Pony Club National Triathlon will represent the final assessment for the 2020 nominees. The 2020 squads will be announced after the 15th of March once the Tetrathlon Committee has had an opportunity to reflect on all of the nominees. Training will be given in all four disciplines to each member who receives an invitation to join the 2020 Irish squads.
The Irish Pony Club will participate in a Senior International Exchange to the UK with The Pony Club this summer. The exchange will begin on Friday 24th July 2020 and conclude on Tuesday 11th of August. This invitation is extended to one team of four boys and one team of four girls. These members will participate in a range of cultural and fun activities provided by The Pony Club. Participants will compete at the Senior Regional Tetrathlon Competition from the 31st July to 2nd August and the UKPC Senior Tetrathlon Championships from the 7th to the 9th August 2020.
However, a second team of Senior Irish Pony Club boys and girls will also travel to the UK. They will participate in all of the exchange activities and competitions but they will be accommodated and travel separately. Members wishing to be considered for participation in this exchange must be nominated by their DC. Selectors will be looking for good ambassadorial qualities in nominees. Behaviour and attitude throughout training will be taken into account when selecting teams.
Important Minimus and Tetrathlon Dates for 2020
- UK Junior Regional Tetrathlon – 30th and 31st May 2020
- UK Minimus Regional Competition - 27th and 28th June 2020
- Irish Pony Club Minimus Championships –TBC
- Senior International Tetrathlon Exchange – 24th July to 11th August 2020
- Senior Regional – 31st July to 2nd August 2020
- UKPC Tetrathlon Championships – 7th to 9th August 2020
- Irish Pony Club Tetrathlon Championships – August 2020