Guidelines and Information for the 2020 Irish Pony Club Mounted Games Trials.
The 2020 trials dates are:
- Day 1 - Sunday 19th January,
- Day 2 - Sunday 26th January
- Day 3 - Sunday 2nd February (if required)
The trials will be held in the all-weather arena at Punchestown Racecourse.
Membership renewal of the Irish Pony Club for 2020 must be paid before the first day of trials.
All entries to be must be submitted on the IPC Mounted Games Its Plain Sailing site. The entry fee is €75.00 which must be paid at the time of entry on Its Plain Sailing. The entry form is now open online at:
Closing date for entries is Monday 6th January 2020.
Please read the following carefully:
You will be asked to confirm on the form that you understand the weight / height rules when entering on Its Plain Sailing. Your DC will also have to sign off on each entry.
- Dressed to compete a rider weighing over 54kg, may not ride a pony 128cm or under.
- A rider weighing 60kg may not ride a pony 133cm or under and a rider weighing 66kg may not ride a pony 138cm or under.
- If a team Member changes to a different pony during the competition or training the same weight / height rules apply.
Before training starts parents will be asked to commit to attending training sessions and anyone who misses two or more sessions (without good reason) will be dropped from the team at the discretion of the Chief Steward.
The pony that a rider presents on the first day of trials must be used throughout the trials, training and travelling period. If it becomes necessary to change a pony it can only be done at the discretion of the Chief Steward. If a player or pony gets injured during the trials their placing will be at the discretion of the selectors.
Please note the following when preparing for and taking part in the trials as the points below will be important when the Trainers are making the final decisions. All points having equal merit.
- Ability to vault.
- Ability to correct a mistake quickly and accurately.
- Ability to achieve pace and speed but also to check or pull up.
- Ability of pony and rider to give a pass.
- Ability of pony and rider to take a pass.
- Ability to play technical games correctly.
- Temperament and attitude of pony and rider
- Consideration is given to the complementary attributes of all 5 riders and ponies to the overall team as a unit.
- All players who attend trials will be given the best possible chance to show their abilities.
Estimated cost of trips for 2020
- Windsor - €1700
- Bath and West - €1300
- Scotland and England - €400
Details re payment methods will follow in early 2020
The selectors are for 2020 are to be confirmed.